I love to read. There are so many wonderful books & cookbooks out there. I would like to share my favorites with you. I have gotten most of these books from the library, so don’t feel you have to rush out and buy them. If you buy from Amazon, please use Amazon Smile: SDCRI.
- Cancer-Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz I found this book on my desk after a day off. Not sure who left it there for me. I like this book because it has a section on what to eat during chemo and recipes for each side effect such as nausea, constipation & metallic taste.
Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Recommendations During & After Treatment by Holly Clegg, Gerald Miletello
- 1,000 Gluten Free Recipes “by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. Published 2008. Go gluten-free with ease! For the best all-purpose gluten-free cookbook, look no further. This 700+ page book contains delicious gluten-free recipes for muffins, breads, pizzas, pastas, casseroles, cookies and more! Also includes hundreds of recipes for all-American favorites, flavorful international dishes and sophisticated special-occasion fare.
- History Lovers Cookbook by Roxe Anne Peacock Just for fun! History of the Civil War with Recipes you probably have from your Grandmother.
- How to Eat by Thich Nhat Hanh Mindful eating… “How to Eat clearly and succinctly explains how you can incorporate eating as a form of meditation. The book provides practical advice on how to become truly nourished through the mindful preparation, serving, eating, and cleaning up of food.”
- La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer All her cookbooks are fun & informative if you are looking for vegan recipes.
- Michael Pollan: All his books are amazingly practical!
- Moosewood Cookbook by Molly Katzen This link is to all of her cookbooks. They are my favorites!
- Paul Stamets The leading authority on mushrooms. Book list.
- The Art of Fermentation: An In-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from around the World Great book for those of you who are serious about this subject.
- The C-Card and Me: How I beat stage IV cancer (to a pulp) by Ali Gilmore Many of you may remember Ali as one of the San Diego Cancer Center’s patients. This is a funny, inspiring book about Ali’s journey to triumph over her diagnosis.
The C Card and Me 2: How I beat stage IV cancer (again and again) by Ali Gilmore The C Card and Me 2 is a humorous cancer survival guide written by a 3 time, Stage IV cancer survivor. The guide will resonate with those newly diagnosed and in the midst of treatment. It also speaks to the loved ones and offers insights to those who wonder how they would deal if/when faced with cancer. I contributed a chapter on nutrition.
The China Study by Dr. Thomas Campbell
- The Dash Diet for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started by John Chatham
- The Fanny Farmer Cookbook by Marion Cunningham & Lauren Jarrett. This is my very favorite basic cookbook. I have had mine since 1980.
- The Food Babe Way by Vani Hari This book is for those of you who really care about what is in your food. Not for the faint of heart 🙂
- The Mediterranean Diet for Beginners: The Complete Guide – 40 Delicious Recipes, 7-Day Diet Meal Plan, and 10 Tips for Success
- Vegetarian: The Greatest Vegetarian Cookbook Ever by Nicola Grimes This is by far the best book I have seen with information about vegetables, fruits, grains etc.; what they are, how to cook them & recipes for them. Wonderful reference for any cook.
- What the Fork Are You Eating by Stephanie Sacks For those of you who want to know what is in your food.
- Healthy at Home: Get Well and Stay Well Without Prescriptions
by Tieraona Low Dog, M.D. “Learn how to make herbal remedies and why you and your family will be healthier for doing so–and get advice on when it’s best to consult a health care professional instead.”
- Medicinal Herbs: A Beginners Guide by Rosemary Gladstar ” Gladstar profiles 33 of the most common and versatile healing plants and then shows you exactly how to grow, harvest, prepare, and use them.”
Mosby’s Handbook of Herbs & Natural Supplements by Linda Skidmore-Roth RN, MSN, NP ” Mosby’s Handbook of Herbs and Natural Supplements! Reviewed by nurses and herbalists alike, this authoritative resource presents herb and supplement profiles in a convenient, A-Z format for fast reference.”
- My favorite cookbooks. I have had them for well over 20 years. They are dogeared, stained & well loved. Tofu Cookery & Simply Vegetarian!
- Gluten-Free Snacks and Sweet Treats Kids Love: 30+ wholesome and kid-friendly snacks, appetizers, smoothies and sweet treats without gluten, artificial colors or preservatives.